Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gopnick on Joseph Cornell


The best, I think, "elevator pitch" for Joseph Cornell is from Adam Gopnick in an article in the New Yorker, 2/17/03:

He is an artist of longings, but his longings are for things known and seen and hard to keep. He didn't long to go to France; he longed to build memorials to the feeling of wanting to go to France while riding the Third Avenue El. He preferred the ticket to the trip, the postcard to the place, the fragment to the whole. Cornell's boxes look like dreams to us, but the mind that made them was always wide awake.
 
Photo: Lee Miller

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I wonder if you know more details regarding this photo. I know the famous portrait of Joseph Cornell by Lee Miller, taken in 1933, but I didn't know this, and I would know more, where it is, when it was taken, etc.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's by Duane Michals, so it's probably done during his visit to Cornell's home in 1969 or 1970. I'll check my resources at home tonight and see if I can find anything further. -Jeff

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much Jeff, to know that it's by Duane Michals puts me on the right track.

      Delete